The washing machine has a jammed drum
Has your washing machine stopped working? Don’t be in a hurry to get upset. For starters, let’s see if the drum is spinning at all?
- If, in washing mode, the drum rotates normally but does not work while wringing, read the article “What to do if the washing machine stops wringing the laundry”.
- If the drum is not spinning in any of the modes, but you can spin it with your hand without any extra effort, your case is described in the article “The washing machine is not spinning the drum“.
- If you can’t move the drum, even with your hand, or if it’s scrolling with obvious force – most likely, the drum is jammed. Why this could happen, we’ll tell you in this article.
The main reasons why the washing machine drum does not rotate
Most often, the drum is clinched if something physically interferes with the free rotation. It can be either a defective part or a foreign object.
Drive belt comes off
The drive belt has left the usual position and comes off the pulley. This is most often due to incorrect loading of the machine with linen, stretching of the belt itself or bearing failure. A dropped belt may be wrapped around a pulley or be between the pulley and the drum. Either way, it “deliberately” blocks rotation.
Depending on the cause of the malfunction, the drive belt and/or bearing must be replaced.
A rusty bearing has stuck, or it’s collapsed altogether.
The bearing and packing must be replaced.
There was a foreign object between the drum and the tank. This is most often the case with small objects during the spin cycle: they can “fit” between the drum and the rubber cuff of the hatch. A foreign body can jam the drum, disable a bearing or TAN.
A foreign object must be removed.
|In a washing machine with vertical loading, the sashes opened.||
When washing or wringing the sashes of the washing machine tank opened. In this case, the sashes cling to the Heater and the drum clinches the “intentional”. Most often, such trouble occurs if the washing machine was overloaded or some piece of clothing caught between the latch and the sash.
It is necessary to disassemble the machine, and, in the most “hard” cases – the replacement of the drum.
Whatever the reason, if the drum does not spin – please do not try to start the washing machine forcibly. This can cause even more serious damage to the machine. Do not panic, call a repair technician at ️(800) 657-0765
Our technician will come as soon as possible, conduct free diagnostics and give the exact reason why the drum is jammed. Repair will not take more than an hour or two, after which you will be able to return to the usual rhythm of life with a fully working washing machine.
To avoid repeated incidents, please follow the washing machine manufacturer’s recommendations:
- Do not overload the machine with too much laundry.
- Distribute the laundry evenly over the drum.
- Always check your pockets before washing: garbage and small items do not fit in the washing machine.
- Wash small items in special bags.
- Follow the recommendations for the amount of detergent and decalcifying agents on your machine.
- If the machine starts behaving unusually, the drum of the washing machine squeaks or is completely stationary – contact a workshop immediately! Remember that using a defective washing machine can result in more serious and therefore more expensive breakdowns.