15 reasons why the washing machine doesn’t squeeze out the laundry.
“The washing machine stopped squeezing, the drum was spinning, and the laundry was still soaking wet…” – hears our manager on the phone accepting repair requests. And this sad story is repeated virtually every day: according to experience, breakdowns that do not work spin, one of the most frequent.
No spin cycle is the first bell that says the unit needs repair. Otherwise, when the machine is further operated in this “semi-working” mode, not only the spin cycle, but also other functions may break down.
It doesn’t work spinning, which you can do on your own.
Don’t be in a hurry to get upset. Let’s first make sure that the breakage really exists:
- The drain’s not working. A frequent situation where the washing machine does not reach the spin cycle because it cannot drain the water. There may be a blockage or a breakage. More information about it in this article about this problem in the article “The Washing Machine Does Not Drain“.
- The “no spin” mode is selected. In modes for thin, delicate fabrics and wool, spin-down is not in the program. This ensures that delicate items do not stretch or crumple during spin cycle, but require longer drying time.
- You overloaded the washing machine. That’s why the machine can’t pick up speed, and it doesn’t push-up. Try dividing the laundry into two batches and start spinning again.
- The imbalance of cloths. When you wash a blanket with socks, the washing machine can’t evenly spread the laundry over the drum and doesn’t squeeze. Try straightening the blanket and starting the spin cycle again.
- The spin speed reduction function is selected. Some washing machines allow you to adjust the number of revolutions per minute. You may have inadvertently selected this function, so the laundry is too wet.
It’s fine on the outside, but the washing machine doesn’t squeeze out? So, there is a malfunction, it’s time to call a master, who will determine exactly what is out of order, and perform repairs.
Here is a table of the most frequent malfunctions that prevent the washing machine from squeezing the laundry.
|Malfunction||Breakage||How to fix?|
|The washing machine does not drain or squeeze.||The drain pump is faulty, so the machine cannot drain after rinsing and does not go on spinning.||The pump has to be replaced.|
|A clog in the drain path. Could have been clogged:
||The technician finds the place of the clogging and fixes it.|
|The washing machine sparkles and does not pick up speed on the spin.||Motor brushes. They’re erased and have poor contact with the collector. This causes the motor to spark and cannot generate enough torque to rotate the spinning drum.||The brushes or motor has to be replaced.|
|The machine is not picking up speed on the spin.||Drive belt. It stretches out and slips.||The drive belt has to be replaced|
|Washer does not pick up steam on the spin or does not spin the drum at all.||The Tacho Sensor (tachogenerator, Hall sensor). This is the unit that monitors the engine speed. Breakage is rare, but if it occurs – the machine does not accelerate to the desired speed, and as a result, spin is not enough quality.||The Tacho Sensor has to be replaced|
|Control board (electronic controller). Some elements and / or burned tracks on the PCB in the engine circuit.||The technician diagnoses the board and replaces the defective elements with new ones.|
|The machine vibrates strongly when trying to spin the drum on spin and does not spin. It is also possible to knock the drum against the body of the washing machine.||Shock absorbers. They are used in the washing machine to damp the vibrations of the drum during washing and wringing. If they are worn out, the machine vibrates too much and electronics prevent it from spinning the drum.||Both shock absorbers must be replaced.|
|The washing machine rattles hard and doesn’t squeeze. If you rock the drum with your hand, it hangs on the shaft. Rusty stains can also be seen on the outside of the washing tank.||Bearings. Over time, the oil seal loses its seal, water enters the bearings and the lubricant is washed out. Bearings rust and gradually deteriorate due to vibrations and rotation.||Requires bearing replacement.|
|The washing machine depended on spinning, and when trying to start the program again, does not spin the drum. The engine may be buzzing, jamming or not working at all.||Electric motor. Motor stator failed, windings shorted or broke.||The motor needs to be replaced.|
|The washing machine spun the drum on the spin and did not spin.||Water level sensor (pressostat). During normal operation, the pressostat tells the control unit what the water level in the tank is – whether it is possible to start spinning or whether the water has not yet completely drained. If the sensor is in the “full tank” position, the control module “does not see” that the water has drained and does not give the squeezing command.||The technician carries out the diagnosis of the sensor and, depending on the nature of the fault, the sensor:
As you can see, there are many possible malfunctions. So do not waste time on self-diagnostics or, even more dangerously, repair with your own hands. Modern washing machines are so “stuffed” with electronics that any awkward movement can lead to more serious, and therefore more expensive to repair breakdowns. The technician will return your washing machine in 1-2 hours. And you’ll forget the archaism of manual wringing again.
And finally, we’ll give you some tips to keep your washing machine from spinning problems and other troubles:
- Always check the contents of your pockets before washing. Garbage, coins, lighters, fantasies and other things left in your pockets are the main cause of clogs.
- Do not overload the washing machine. Maintain the weight recommended for loading. This will protect the engine from overloading and failure.
- Fill in the recommended amount of good quality powder. Its excess will damage the water level sensor (pressostat).
- Install a voltage relay against surges. The control modules of electrical engineering are most sensitive to surges. Remember that repair or replacement of the control unit is one of the most expensive repair operations!